Monday, July 06, 2015

colorful scrap quilting on Craftsy

 
My Craftsy class, Colorful Scrap Quilting, is LIVE today! I'm extremely nervous just thinking about watching it, but my curiosity may get the better of me. My kids are planning/threatening to play it on our large TV. I think that's the worst case scenario and if they do, I may have to run away for a little while. Hahaha!

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to teach a Craftsy class, even if it did scare the living daylights out of me. :) There were two factors that kept me going amid all the self doubts: 1. I had talked to a few close friends about taping a Craftsy class for at least a year and I didn't want to compromise my integrity. 2. Turning 40 was a good motivator, too. It was a seize the day (or year) kind of thing. It may sound silly, but it really helped me face my fears!
The quilt itself was designed in Illustrator, on a deadline, of course! Designing on a deadline is, um...interesting! Designing a quilt in Illustrator is rarely my first choice. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! After spending a few days wondering if the quilt was actually going to work, (I was honestly wondering!) I decided that there was only one way to find out---start sewing!
All of the class prep (and quilt making) was done in a quick timeframe. I think I had 4-5 weeks to prepare. It was intense! Thankfully, my family and a few close friends cheered me on the whole way though. That helped so much! I spent many, many hours prepping before we actually filmed. I went through a lot of scratch paper planning and doing the math. SO MUCH math! So many chicken scratches!
Some days I sewed for about 12 hours! I took a ton of photos as I worked, evaluating the progress every step of the way. There was a lot of editing of fabrics, colors and blocks.
I used a bunch of fabric from my stash. A BUNCH! Several times I had to remind myself (out loud, no less), "It's all just fabric", as I cut into it. I talked to myself a lot during the process. That's what working alone in a basement for hours on end will do to you! :)
I generated a ton of scraps, too. I put all the remains in this paper box lid to sort through for another day. That should be LOTS of fun! It's a darn good thing I like scraps as much as I do!
My producer asked me for a photo of my studio, so I had to clean up my room during that time as well. My craft room is never this clean. Only for a few minutes while the photos were being taken. It's my husband's dream to have it this clean. Even occasionally would do!
This is what it looked like most of the time I was working. Or sometimes even worse!
After I had the top completed, I handed the quilt into Steffani's capable hands for long arm quilting. She did an amazing job on it! It was fun to bind it because it was almost finished and I got to admire her beautiful quilting!
The taping itself was nerve-wracking, but the crew I worked with was so fun. They are good at what they do!
We had a great time joking around between filming segments. (It was fun to use quilts I've made as back drops!) We laughed a lot and worked long days. It was quite an experience!
It felt great to complete the taping...this was my celebratory power pose. I was pretty happy! :)

If you want to see a trailer of the class, you can view it here. My son and I watched it and he said, "Wow, they made you look good!" He sounded a little surprised! Hahaha!

I realize that this is quite a long blog post, but I think it's important to share the process behind it all. SO much goes on behind the scenes and it can look easy, but it all is a ton of work. It's good work, though, and I'm thankful to have it!

I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to my friend Tara, who was so helpful to me throughout the entire process. And a big thank you to all of you, my readers, who have left kind comments about the class and the quilt already. I appreciate your support more than I can say!

Happy Monday to you!

60 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, Amanda! It was such a joy to watch your class today! Knowing the work that went into it, you did make it look easy! I'm SOOO proud of you!

Corrie H. @ Mountain Stitches said...

You do such great work, and I am always on the edge of my seat to see what you come up with next! Thanks for sharing, and inspiring me!

Patti said...

What a great post! Thanks for the behind the scenes pics. Love your sewing space in all it's tidy/worked in glory. Congrats! Will definitely check out your class.

Gina said...

Congratulations and well deserved.

dutchcomfort said...

Congratulations and so well-deserved!! I will always cherish the first quilt-along on your blog, back in 2007(!), because you basically learned me how to make quilt blocks, other than just plain squares!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Congratulations! What a process, and all worth it for the many who take your class! I will be adding it to my class list! The quilt looks really cool, welldone!

Lynnwa said...

Congratulations! I loved this long post and all the pics and information, it really shows some interesting behind the scenes on Craftsy. I enjoyed it so much. I also enjoyed the trailer, you did a great job. The quilt is so pretty that you are making in your class. I wish you great success with this class and all that you do.

phxquilt said...

Congratulations Amanda! Scraps are also a passion of mine as well. My DH has the same dream as yours LOL... even DD has visions of the same thing. Thanks for all the fun and inspiration

Katy said...

Thanks for sharing. And def not too long. It was great to get the story behind the class. I will looking into the class further

scraphappy said...

What a great story. Thanks so much for sharing the process. Sounds like it was definitely worth the effort involved.

Heide said...

Would you have ever thought that back in 2000 when you made your first quilt that you would now be teaching quilting classes, let alone making a video class and having it published to reach so many people? Congrats! Love how the quilt turned out.

Suzanne said...

I could eat this post up and many more with the details of this experience. You really put yourself out on a limb and then took a great leap. The results of that faithful jump are stellar. Congrats!!

Ps. Did the quilt with "it's just fabric" come before or after the prep for the class?

Linda said...

Congratulations, my friend. I am so happy for you and proud of you! I know how much of your heart goes into everything you do. God has truly blessed me to be able to be friends with you. :)

Kelly Cline said...

WOW! What an experience! I think everyone loves to see behind the scenes and what really goes into something like this. I especially love how you said your husband would always like your space to look like that. My husband shakes his head every time he comes into my studio. I try to explain about creativity! I've done that for 35 years, he still doesn't get it! Enjoy your fame and the ride :)

Susan Holman said...

Your fabric stash is brilliantly colorful and cheerful. This is the MAIN reason I follow your blog. It always makes me happy to look at your projects, even the scrap pile. (My studio is usually a wreck with so many projects going.)
Congratulations on facing a challenge head on. Well done. Happy belated birthday, too. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats Amanda, and great xhoice for your class. After all, you are a scrap-using genius! I know it will be a big hit, and the quilt is adorable! You rock!

Bobbi @ Snowy Days Quilting said...

This is so wonderful! You work so hard and it is great to see your success. Thank you for sharing your time and love of quilting with the world.

Linda said...

LOL at your son's comment! :) You sound just like I thought you would, and indeed you do look great. Kudos to you!

Beth Diaz said...

Happy 4-0! This class looks wonderful and I have to agree with an earlier comment that your fabrics and colors always inspire me and lift my spirits. That is why I love your blog! Sometimes we just need a milestone or deadline to help us accomplish great things! Looks like that is just what you have here!
Looking forward to having a chance to take the class!

Debbie said...

Love your blog and congrats on the new adventure. Once my friends and I turned 40 our motto became "now that we are 40...we can do whatever we want"
Keep up the great work.

Unknown said...

Wonderful colors in your quilts! Love looking at them.
jackie halpern
jhalpern18.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Felicidades! So happy for you! Thank you for posting everything about the planning, the filming process, your emotions, etc. Your blog is about so much more than just quilting. Will be tuning into your class soon!

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see the class.

margaret said...

so enjoyed reading your blog about your class and have viewed the short video, needless to say I will have to purchase this, not bought a craftsy class before so will have to investigate! Should finish the scrap vortex first really though well maybe.

My congratulations to you and now looking forward to seeing your fabric too

elnorac said...

Oh, good on you! So great that you're sharing your talents through Craftsy now! I'm not surprised that Tara was helpful during the process, as her class is awesome, too. I'm excited to take your class! Thanks for sharing your talents here, on Instagram, in print publications, and now on Craftsy!

Karen said...

It looks like all those long hours in the basement talking to yourself really paid off :) Great quilt and, I'm sure, a great class!

Mama Urchin said...

Great Job!

Cindy Maki said...

Congrats!! The trailer looks great. Unfortunately, I can't afford a class right now, but i know it will be great. You are so talented, and I love the quilts you make. I so appreciate all your tutorials. Good luck!!!

Lauren said...

Your trailer is awesome! What a fantastic quilt to make - I think I am going to have my girls take it to learn different blocks. Love it!

Tracybug Creative said...

Super excited to get started and learn some things! Congrats again!

Svetlana said...

yay, yay, yay!!!! How totally wonderful!!! Congratulations! I've said it before but I have to say it again, you're simply AH-mazing

Daytona Damsel said...

You look so natural. And I lovr the quilt. I can see more crafty classes coming your way. Debbie

Lisa C said...

Whoohoo!!! So happy for you!

Pamela Lynne said...

I love your work and I look forward to taking this class. I'd love to see the trailer, but the link isn't working....any chance you can fix this? The quilt is fabulous and I've got several fabric ideas for making it.

Amber said...

Congratulations! I am always impressed with your quilts, and the fact that you had even a little bit of spare time to throw together a class for all of us amazes me! The 2nd quilt I ever made, I was inspired by you (your whirlygiggle), and I keep meaning to send a picture of it to you! Several of your tutorials are on my "to do" list of quilts I want to do, but I'm too busy working on baby quilts for friends and family! Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to get to that list!

valentinegirl said...

Very cool! I love craftsy and have purchased several classes so far--I'll have to check yours out!!

Unknown said...

Love your quilt (and actually all of your quilts) and congratulations on your craftsy class. You have always been such an inspiration to me since I started quilting about 2 yrs ago. My first quilt was from your quilt along for your star quilt!! Love your use of bright scrappy colors. Can't wait for your fabric line to come out!!! Thanks for all you do in your blog,etc.

Marie-Claude said...

Congratulations, Amanda Jean! I will take your class and am looking forward to buying your fabric. :-)

Melissa Corry said...

That is so exciting!!! Huge Congrats to you!!!

Dona said...

So exciting!! Thanks for sharing all the pictures and the adventures. I love your blog and it is exciting to see you jump into so many things,,, an inspiration!!

SewPsyched! said...

I am so happy, glad, excited and thrilled for you!! You go girl!!!!!!!!!!! XX!

Kelly O. said...

What an accomplishment!! I can't wait to purchase your class and sew along with you!

pam said...

I've signed up for your class but I haven't watched it yet. Can't wait for some free time! pam

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you had fun in the end.

Karen @runsewfun said...

Such a great post. Thanks for sharing all this. Those decade birthdays really are motivators! The quilt is beautiful and "happy" and the class looks fun! Congratulations!!!

elizabethdee said...

Congratulations on your big achievement! And I love this post and the open honest way you share your real feelings and take us behind the curtain, as it were, with your views of your studio in not-quite-ready-for-Martha-Stewart state. It makes your blog and your work not just inspiring but taking me from inspiration to action. Thanks!

Christina said...

Congratulations on such an endeavor! I loved this post, because I love seeing pictures of your studio, messy or clean!

Pat said...

I just started watching your class. You are doing a great job and I know I'm really going to enjoy it. I'm thinking about making a smaller version of your quilt as a baby gift.

Love the pictures of your craft room ... clean or messy ... it is open and inviting. What a great space for creating and you obviously make the most of it.

Scheri said...

Congratulations. It will be nice to have your class on Craftsy.com. Love your style!

Anonymous said...

Way to go.

Take on that next hurdle just as well.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new class - I signed up - it looks great!

Alisha Hemmingson said...

Boosh! You're so adorable in the video!! And you already have 300+ people enrolled in the class. You're kind of amazing. <3

Farm Road Quilts said...

That's so funny about what you son said! Best wishes on the class - I have a feeling it'll be pretty popular.

Unknown said...

I've taken quite a few classes on Craftsy....can't wait to give it a go!

Mary Marcotte said...

I'm a Craftsy addict, so I guess I'll be taking your class. That's perfectly okay since I LOVE Sunday Morning Quilts and, of course, your blog. Thanks for finding another way to teach and share your beautiful quilts!

Ruth said...

Fantastic! I'm so looking forward to watching over the weekend. I've been following your blog for years and can't wait to see you talking and sewing on craftsy - they are the reason I made my first quilt!

Lorna McMahon said...

Congratulations Amanda Jean! A well deserved success. So happy for you!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

The colors and fabrics of the quilt for the class look so you. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes peeks too. Very interesting. I just received your lovely fabrics today from Connecting Threads. I LOVE them!! Especially the little cross hatch. Gotta start thinking about what to make for the blog hop now.

Rachel said...

Congrats! The trailer was great. I've followed your blog for some time now and admire your talent.

maeve said...

Love your quilt! All those colorful prints, wonderful! And the photo of your sewing room "as is" made me laugh - I struggle with this identical "problem". Stuff all over the place when I am auditioning fabric and designs, etc. Still another problem is that I also like to paint with watercolors, do art journaling, gelli printing, etc. So you can just imagine the potential messes! Thanks for sharing!